Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A slice of life

This week I experienced life as I always hoped it would be. As I had imagined it to be at its best, but always assumed that it only worked in movies. And this moment, which was only a few hours long, was truly a perfect piece of living.

I went to see a movie during the Rakkautta & Anarkiaa film festival on Tuesday evening. 'The Wackness' if you must ask, wonderful movie if you must ask again. The movie was showing at eleven in the evening at Café Engel, a small quaint café near one of Helsinkis great buildings - Tuomiokirkko (Helsinki Cathedral). The movie was shown on a small canvas with a rattling and whirring projector in the cafés picturesque inner courtyard. Complete with intricate light fixtures, small narrow staircases and small round parisian coffee tables. A wine shack was nearby to provide refreshements.

As the projector crackled to life, me and my friend Axel sat down at a table, set down our glasses of red wine and found ourselves some thick woolly blankets to shield us from the crisp late summer night. Sitting there watching this wonderful movie with a glass of red wine in front of me, in this utterly picturesque setting I couldn't help but thinking that I was in a movie. That these moments and places only existed in the fictional world. How wrong I have been.

This moment is what life is supposed to be. To me at least. And the evening was made complete with a midnight photography session wandering the steps of the church and my lovely city, listening to The Shins. All this made for a truly wonderful night on the town, and a moment I shan't forget.

No comments: