Saturday, September 20, 2008

I wish I didn't sleep so late.

Do we have a choice? The never-ending philosophical question. Free will, free choice. I believe we do. But I wish I could believe in fate, that everything happened for a reason. I understand people who do. It would make life a lot easier, believing everything happened for a reason and that your choices had nothing to do with it. All the bad choices you make that cause pain and suffering for yourself and others would just be ways the world is teaching you. And that it all had some higher purpose, I guess this is what religion is all about, the comfort factor. Believing that everything happens for a reason would make one feel a lot more comfortable with all the bad things that happen in life, and believing that there is some ultimate goal/aim that your life is racing towards would really simplify things. Or so it seems to me. I would love to be a believer, but alas I am not. In fate, a higher power, anything to comfort oneself during the bad times. Well, that's what friends are for.

So I guess to me my friends are the higher power, the reason to do good, to be good, to strive to be better, the comfort when everything isn't going your way, the company when everything *is* going your way. I love you. Thank you.

"I wish that I believed in fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late." -Matt Berninger

No comments: