Friday, October 5, 2007

Adaptation. (Nic Cage not included)

i was walking home throught town quite late in the night immersed in my music (Jose González at the time) and my thoughts and i started thinking about why ive felt to phlegmatic lately. the reason im really annoyed at my phlegmaticism is that ive been looking forward to moving out for the past two-three years and now that i finally did, i feel like im not enjoying it enough, and that im not doing all the things i had planned on doing. and i realised that maybe it has something to do with our basic human ability to adapt. i believe humans extraordinary adaptability is one of the main reasons weve thrived as a species, cold weather, arid terrain, versatile predators, we have adapted to everything nature has thrown at us.

but now in my case i think this basic ability has its downsides. though it is still an important trait in us and a very good one at that. but in my case, i feel like its been more of a burden. my getting accustomed so quickly to my new place and life in town has made me lose the perception of how great it actually is, and it has incredibly quickly become the norm for me. it feels like its always been like this, and thus i dont get around to doing all the things i had imagined/planned on doing when i move out. i feel like this has been a problem before as well, when i came out of the army i adapted to civilian life again really really quickly, which didnt give me time to enjoy the freedoms i once again enjoyed or the benefits of civilian life to the full extent. so i guess everything new just becomes the norm too quickly for me, so that i cant enjoy changes for the better as much as i should. maybe this will change, maybe it wont, who knows? but trust me, if you experience a change for the better in your life, grasp it with all your might, hold on to it and squeeze every last drop out of it. you will regret it if you dont. i might still have a chance to correct this wrong. only time will tell.

goodnight...

2 comments:

Athelas said...

welcome
i'm here :)
i'm going to english classes

have fun!

Anonymous said...

My dear wonderful Anton, I feel like in all the hustle and bustle of life I've somehow forgotten you: you, who were always so kind to me. This is my apology for not being there for you to call me and tell me when you're feeling disillusioned by life. I will always call you one of my dearest and closest friends. Keep in touch. I'll just say this: No matter how hard they beat you, no matter how dark it gets, no matter how f***ing hard it gets, never let the world change you. It would be a loss to humanity and more importantly, me.

Impressed, much?

Rainbows of love babe,

Izzy(all the way from Scotland)