Thursday, October 16, 2008

9,99 €


"500 billion dollars are used on advertising per year in the world.
According to the UN, 10% of this could reduce famine with 50%."

Those were the last words in the film '99 francs' (freely translated by me since the actual text was in french). And if you haven't seen this movie yet, go see it. Now. It is a fantastic movie about the advertising industry, modern french cinema at its best (though its not like I'm an expert on french cinema, modern or otherwise), or at least one of the best french movies I have seen in a while. Stylistically engaging and politically poignant (I'm starting to sound like a pretentious movie critic aren't I?). That's the phrasing that popped into my head, perhaps I've been reading too many reviews. Anyway, a feel good political movie, that leaves you with a smile on your face and an urge to revolt in your heart, a rare combination I dare say. However, quite a wonderful one at that.

I'll leave you with a quote I read somewhere - "Don't just do something. Stand there."

No comments: